Travel Journal Prompts
Travel journals are awesome. When people ask me what my hobby is I say traveling (and crafting…). Experiencing new cultures, people and learning the history of those places is incomparably mind-opening. Before, during and after a trip I keep a travel journal. Moreover, they are great place for me to combine my love of crafting and travel. Looking back to previous travel journals brings me right back to that trip and never fails to put a smile on my face. The following is a list of topics to inspire your travel journal.
As you travel, you might not always have time to write, so use your phone, laptop, a notebook etc to jot down your experiences. You can always combine your sources later – the key thing is to write out those little things you might forget.
Before the Trip:
- Firstly, write out your anticipated itinerary.
- Your anticipated budget
- Save your packing list (maybe add some cute doodles!)
- Write out customs and cultural taboos of where you’re going
- Interesting historical facts about where you are going
- Include a cheat sheet of commonly used words and phrases
- What preconceived notions did you have before you left?
During the Trip:
- Then, tell stories of the people you met.
- What new artists did you learn about and love in the museums?
- Include souvenirs in your travel journal and write stories about your experiences at those places or activities.
- List music you discovered
- Record conversations you overheard
- How did people dress?
- What was in the shops/grocery stores that you wouldn’t normally see?
- Did you eat anything bizarre?
- How did you feel during the trip? Write out your emotions.
- Write out any inside jokes you developed during your travels.
- What books did you read during your trip?
- How was the flight/train? Did you meet any interesting people? Was there a crying baby the whole time?
- Record any major event that happened during your vacation. EG festivals, politics, strikes etc
- What did you see?
- List the things you want to see next time
- Write out your daily itinerary. Compare it to the anticipated itinerary you wrote!
- What were your favorite restaurants?
- How was the weather?
- Was anything stolen or lost?
- How did you feel when you first arrived at your destination?
- Describe the places you stayed during your trip.
- Where would you want to go back to?
- What was the night life like?
- How was the coffee?
- Were the sunsets different than what you are used to?
- What was the landscape like?
- Describe animals that exist in your destination that you do not see at home
- What was your favorite food?
- How did people drive? EG, left or right side of the road, did they respect road rules? Would you suggest renting a car in this destination to friends?
- How did you get around?
- What did you wear during the trip?
When You Get Back:
- Did your pre-conceived notions turn out to be true?
- What souvenirs did you purchase?
- List out some of the things that did NOT go as planned so you can laugh about them later
- How does it feel to be home?
- What was your favorite experience from the trip?
- Include drawings of the places and people from your trip.
- Draw lots of pictures and stories next to them!
- How did it feel your first day back at work?
- Did you have any regrets?
- Would you recommend this place to others?
- What would you want others to know before they go?
- Finally, where are you going next?!
Tell me what travel journal prompts you use!